Hi Cloud Users !
Microsoft Azure? What are the various cloud services provided by Microsoft Azure? This article will answer all your queries about Microsoft azure cloud services.
In this post, we’ll be covering the following topics:
- What is cloud computing?
- What is Microsoft Azure?
- Microsoft Azure Cloud – Domains & Services
- Microsoft Azure Benefits
- Azure Price Calculator
What is Cloud Computing?
Cloud Computing is about providing various computing resources over the internet. You can find the detail on cloud computing here.
What is Microsoft Azure?
Azure is Microsoft’s cloud platform (set of cloud computing services provided by Microsoft), just like Google has its Google Cloud Platform and Amazon has it’s Amazon Web Service.
Microsoft Azure cloud services can be used for building, testing, deploying, and managing applications and services through Microsoft-managed data centers. It provides software as a service (SaaS), platform as a service (PaaS) and infrastructure as a service (IaaS) and supports many different programming languages, tools, and frameworks, including both Microsoft-specific and third-party software and systems.
Microsoft Azure Cloud- Domains & Services
Domains are a set of services that can be categorized as per different business usage. The following is the list of the most commonly used domains in Azure.
Roughly, Azure services can be divided into 3 layers—the platform services, infrastructure services, and data center infrastructure. Some of the most commonly used services are discussed below:
Azure Compute Services
These services enable a user to deploy and manage virtual machines (VMs), containers and batch processing, as well as support remote application access.
- Virtual Machine: Its Infrastructure as a Service provided by Azure, using which we can create servers like Windows, Linux, etc.
- VM Scale Sets: Used to create a number of VMs at the same time and auto-scaling.
- Cloud Services: These services are used to deploy the app on the created hardware.
- Service Fabric: Used to deploy applications that are based on microservice-based architecture.
- Batch: Used to schedule a compute-intensive workload parallelly on the number of VMs.
- Functions: Azure’s serverless architecture, using which we can deploy a piece of code without worrying about the underlying architecture.
Azure Storage Services
Services under this domain provide scalable cloud storage for any structured and unstructured data and also supports big data scenarios required by Scientific, Financial Analysis, Media applications.
- Blob: Used to store unstructured data like media files, installations, documents, etc.
- Disk: Persistent, secured disk options supporting virtual machines.
- Queue: Used to create queue into the cloud. You can post and read messages from the queue.
- File: Offers file shares in the cloud using the standard server message block protocol.
- Sort Simple: Hybrid cloud storage solution which enables us to store inactive data into the cloud.
- Data Lake Store: Used for big data storage and scalability.
Azure Networking Services
Azure provides a variety of networking services for traffic management and diagnostics, load balancing, domain hosting, and network protection.
- Virtual Network: In Azure, you can create your private virtual network, which is basically a logical dedicated space for you in Azure with your own IP address.
- Load Balancer: Balance your incoming internet traffic on Virtual Machines.
- Application Gateway: It’s a dedicated virtual appliance providing the Application delivery controller as a service. It allows you to build secure highly scalable and available web fronts.
- Traffic Manager: Helps you to route your traffic to different Data Centers.
- Express Route: Lets you connect your data centers to a cloud on private connections facilitated by a connectivity provider.
- VPN Gateway: A type of virtual network gateway that sends encrypted traffic across a public connection.
- Content Delivery Network(CDN): It’s a global CDN solution for delivering high-bandwidth content. CDN caches static web content at strategically placed locations.
- Azure DNS: A hosting service for DNS domains.
Azure Mobile Services
Azure provides a variety of services which helps a developer build cloud applications for mobile devices. These services include mobile notification services, back-end task support, API building tools, and the ability to couple geospatial (location) context with data.
- Mobile Apps can be used to build native and cross-development apps, sign-in to enterprise systems, build offline-ready apps with data sync and push notifications to customers.
- Notification Hubs is used to send push notifications to any platform from any back-end.
- Azure Maps are geospatial APIs to add maps, spatial analytics and mobility solutions to your apps.
- API Apps service is used to quickly build and consume APIs in the cloud using any programming language.
Azure Security & Identity Services
Azure provide services to identify and deal with cloud security threats, as well as manage encryption keys and other sensitive assets.
- Key Vault: Azure Key Vault helps safeguard cryptographic keys and secrets used by cloud applications and services and streamlines the key management process.
- Azure Active Directory(AD): It is Microsoft’s multi-tenant cloud-based directory and identity management service. You can sync your on-premise active directories with Azure Active Directory.
- Azure AD B2C: it is a comprehensive cloud identity management solution for your consumer-facing web and mobile applications.
- Multi-Factor Authentication: It is Microsoft’s two-step verification solution that helps safeguard access to data and applications while meeting user demand for a simple sign-in process.
Azure Web Services
This product provides support for the development and deployment of web applications, and also offers different services for content delivery, search, notification, application programming interface (API) management, and reporting.
Azure IoT Services
Azure IoT services help users capture, monitor and analyze data received from sensors and other devices. It includes different services like notifications, analytics, monitoring and support for coding and execution.
Microsoft Azure Benefits
Why should someone select Microsoft Azure for cloud services?
Well, there are a lot of reasons for that, some of them are as follows:
- Security, It comprises security at its core and private data & services stay safe and secure on Azure Cloud. Microsoft Azure offers the best compliance coverage of over 90 compliance offerings.
- Scalability, By changing simple settings you can add more processors to your application and scale from 10 to 10 million users can be created without any additional coding by using Azure.
- Hybrid Cloud, Azure provides a broader range of hybrid connections including virtual private networks (VPNs), caches, content delivery networks (CDNs), and ExpressRoute connections to improve usability and performance.
- Flexibility, As it gives you the option to have functionality as required. You can pay as you consume, switch to Azure, accommodate the business fluctuations and, etc.
- Analytics Support, As it has built-in support to analyze data and derive insights that help in managed SQL services, Machine Learning, Stream and Cortana Analytics.
As a result of these benefits, Azure is playing as a game-changer in Cloud Computing.
Azure Price Calculator
Similar to other public cloud providers, Azure charges based on usage. However, if an application consumes multiple Azure services, each service might have multiple pricing tiers. Microsoft offers some discounts on long term commitments of usage of certain services.
There is a free trial available for Azure services. Here is what you get in your free trial :
And you won’t be charged until you choose to upgrade. Go ahead, enjoy your free trial. Hope this article was helpful. Please write your suggestions below.